6 Ways to be Better at Work Today!
Posted on December 13, 2017
I’m a huge believer that there’s always room for improvement. Just because you feel comfortable in your job doesn’t mean you can’t find ways to be even better. I challenge you to try these 6 ways you can improve at work today.
1. Take Ownership. Stop waiting for people to check-in with you on tasks. Take the initiative and check in with your boss. Show them you are running the show and are going to do whatever you need to do to get the job done.
2. Test a New Organizational System. Do you feel like small things keep falling through the cracks? It’s probably stressing out you and your team. Show them that you are taking this seriously by testing out a new organizational system and actually sticking to it for a month. See if you can fix this issue yourself.
3. Start with the Work You Don’t Want to do. We all have tasks we love working on and tasks we really dislike. You always finish the tasks you love but the tasks you hate seem to stay on your to-do list. Start with the tasks that are the hardest to finish. This will ensure you actually get to them.
4. Adjust Your Attitude. We get it. You’ve had the same job for a while. You are over it in a way. But until you leave the company, it’s in your best interest to have a positive attitude. Remember, one day you’ll ask for a letter of recommendation and you want it to be positive.
5. Focus on Moving the Needle. You might be a friendly team member, really positive, and get your work done but if you aren’t moving the needle at the end of the day and really helping to expand your department/role/business – you are going to have a hard time making a case for yourself when it comes to raises/promotions.
6. Use Your Vacation Days. Even if you don’t have plans, use your vacation days to rejuvenate yourself and motivate yourself to do an amazing job. I find that it’s the days that I’m disconnected that I come up with the best ideas and I’m the most inspired.