9 Ways I Shut my Brain Off
Posted on November 6, 2017
In a world that’s always so busy, how do you relax? I love reading about the ways that other people relax and trying to work them into my own lifestyle. Here are 9 things that I do to relax and get my head out of working mode. I know it’s late, but every night at around 10PM and at certain points over the weekend I have to get out of my own head. It can’t always be about the next milestone or sales goal. Here are 9 ways that I shut my brain off and have a little relax time.
- Play on Snapchat. I know it’s silly but who doesn’t love a good filter? My high school friends and I send funny filter selfies back and fourth – we also love the voice changer!
- Watch reality shows like The Bachelor or Housewives of Beverly Hills. I know these shows are called “garbage” but it’s nice to just turn your brain off sometimes.
- Shop Online Without Actually Purchasing. At night, I scroll the new arrivals on Forever21.com, Nordstrom.com, and a few other websites. I actually put a ton of stuff in my cart but rarely press purchase. Something about doing that relaxes me and puts me to sleep. If I scroll on Instagram, I usually get frustrated or envious of something someone else has – a feeling I’m not fond of – especially before bed.
- Go on Walks. The more walks, the better. I’ve found that going on walks both before and after the workday help me relax, take a deep breath, and focus on what I need to accomplish that day.
- Head to the Water. Today, I demanded a trip to the water. I drove the 30 minutes to the beach and took a 2 hour walk with my friend and her new baby. I enjoyed the catch up time but there was something about being near the water that was incredibly relaxing.
- Long Shower. On Sundays, I love a good long shower. Let yourself relax and just take your time for once. I’m always running in and out of the shower – late for a meeting- or trying to get to work ontime. Light some candles and let yourself take a long shower or bath at the end of a long day.
- Gym, Gym, Gym. If I can get myself to the gym – even for a quick 25 minute session – I always feel better and more energized. I like to zone out – turn my music up – and work it out. I try to avoid texting or doing emails on the treadmill as it slows me down and doesn’t allow me to phase out and relax.
- Coloring Books. In our white elephant Christmas exchange, I got a Todoiki coloring book. I love it – watching bad TV and coloring is THE BEST! HA! I’m not even good at coloring in the lines but love the idea of again – turning my brain off.
- I recently started cooking – one new recipe a week. Each Sunday, I go to the store to buy my ingredients and usually cook while rocking out to the Hamilton soundtrack on Sunday nights. The art of cooking totally relaxes me – my friends were shocked when the food actually came out yummy!
When you’re ready to turn your brain back on…
Check out this blog – What Hiring Managers Look For in LinkedIn Profiles!
And check out some tips for ways you can be better at your job HERE.